Monday, April 13, 2009

Waiting for Sudafed

It's pollen season in my town and the tree pollen has been off the charts lately, which is bad news for me. I'm am stuffed up better than a turkey on Thanksgiving. I just sent my husband out to buy Sudafed. I had to give him the educational explanation for why he has to buy it directly from the Pharmacist. Probably only mothers know that you have to show id and sign a log to buy pseudophedrine.

My husband was impressed that I knew it was a primary ingredient in methamphetamine and that it's a controlled substance. I had to explain that they sell stuff that sounds like Sudafed over the counter on the shelves but it's useless stuff for the most part - at least for me. Only the real thing works on my pre-sinus infection congestion.

It is my most frustrating challenge as an allergy sufferer, to find over the counter drugs that actually work. The "old" children's chewable Benedryl was great stuff. The kids would get one tablet and I could dose myself based on how bad my symptoms were; but it's gone now. The "old" Alka Seltzer Cold medicine was amazing. The new formula is pretty much worthless. And there is something pharmacists try to sell you as "like" psuedophedrine, but it says right on the box that it's not psuedophedrine and believe me - it doesn't work like psuedophedrine either.

The DEA wouldn't need to exist if they would just give mothers the addresses of all the possible "meth" makers out there. Believe me, at this minute I could make them all squirm for making my life so complicated.

Waiting for Sudafed © 2009
Janice Arrowood

No comments: