Thursday, May 22, 2008

Rules Stink

I'm uploading years of stuff written in tidbits of time between needy children.

There has been a lot of discussion about rules at our house lately. All kinds of rules. The 10 Commandments. School vaccination policies. Cleaning your room. Chewing with your mouth closed.

Our 4-year-old is aware that she has to get some shots before she can go to kindergarten. She doesn’t think shots are a good idea at all, so she said she would just stay at Preschool. I told her that there was a rule that said you had to have shots when you’re five years old no matter where you go to school. She wasn’t pleased. She said “I won’t go to school if I have to have shots.” Then I had to tell her the other rule. The one that says you have to go to school. She is still thinking on that one.

The 7-year-old has been working her way through the 10 commandments at church. She read them to us on the way home the other night. I had to define “covet”, which was relatively painless considering the other possibilities for conversation.

A couple of days later, the little one was sick so we bought some Ginger Ale, except at our house it’s called tasty water. It’s called that because when the big one was 3 she had her first drink of Sprite and said “that’s really tasty water”. Well, the big one wanted some of the tasty water that the little one got. The little one declared “she coveted my tasty water”! The big one, with a pained look on her face said “Am I gonna die?”

Rules Stink © 2001
Janice Arrowood

No comments: