Friday, February 26, 2010

Swagger Wagon

I saw an ad last night during the Olympics that made me rethink my ten year relationship with my minivan. I know what you're thinking: "Relationship?" It is a fact that I've spent a good bit of the last ten years inside my minivan, in spite of my "stay at home mom" job description.

I drive a Honda Odyssey, with the first Honda navigation system installed. The navigation system was always talking to us in the beginning (until we learned how to turn her voice off) and we had to give her a name. It's not terribly original, but we call her "Odyssey". To truly appreciate this creative instinct you have to know we adopted a cat from the Humane Society and they'd already given him a "cage name". Our girls felt that it was wrong to change his name, so "Trent" he remains. But I digress.

Anyway, in the ad a man called his van the "Swagger Wagon". So I've decided that's what I'll call Odyssey from now on. I'll admit, I'm not much of a swaggerer. As one of the older Mom's in my posse, I'm more hep than hip. I'll have to work towards swaggering, one step at a time.

I've considered the following options for Swagger Wagon. 1. Shiny new wheels Or Shiny, spinning wheels. Sadly: not in my budget. 2. New speaker system. Sadly: also not in my budget. And that's all I've got so far.

I have announced to my homies on Facebook that I've changed Odyssey's name. I'm getting mixed reviews. One person so far "likes" the change. Another says she thinks the name Swagger Wagon is temporary. But she doesn't know me. Swagger Wagon has at least another 100k miles left on her. And by then I'll have those shiny new wheels. Second hand of course. And I'm all over the new speaker system. I found this really cool set of portable speakers. They're called hearing aids.

No comments: